New graduates welcome, as long as your exam has been completed, you can be considered for this position.
When: June 16 (Staff Arrival) to August 29th
Contract: $7500 + Room & Board (including special diets) + CPI Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification.
- Registered Nurse
- Vulnerable Persons Sector Police Check
- Work/personal experience with children with neurobiological disorders is an asset, but not required.
- Work experience in a camp environment is an asset, but not required.
Job Description Summary
This position is part of the camp management team. Its function is to provide first aid care for campers and staff, to dispense medications to campers and staff, to coordinate visits to a physician, clinic or hospital when needed, to monitor health and cleanliness standards, to organize paper work and maintain treatment and dispensing logs for everyone requiring service. It requires the incumbent to work with other senior staff members, the camp’s physician and other providers prior to the opening of camp to inventory supplies, to create an operating budget and to make recommendations on acquisitions of equipment and/or materials.
Reporting to: The Director Team
- Perform camper intake at the beginning of each season confirming medications and documenting any changes to dosage or food requirements.
- Maintain files and logs for each camper in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Dispense medications in accordance with protocols provided by campers’ doctors.
- Respond to medical emergencies as required.
- Assess need for off-site emergency treatment in collaboration with camp doctor, telehealth or other experts.
- Participate on the Joint Health and Safety Committee to regularly survey the property to ensure it is safe from dangerous equipment, hazardous chemicals or other risks that could compromise the health and safety of the community.
- Prepare and distribute first aid kits to all locations and activities where required.
- Participate in and lead specific areas of staff training pertaining to camp health and safety, CPR, first aid and use of universal precautions for infectious control.
- Provide regular reminders and monitor that campers and staff are hydrated and protected from the sun.
- Encourage nutritious food choices by campers in collaboration with counselling staff.
- Provide program support duties as needed.
- Provide feedback to the Director Team.
Collaboratively with the Director Team:
- Review policies and practices of camp administration to ensure safety and well-being.
- Support the Director Team in any compliance based inspections.
- Participate as required in contact with parents/guardians to provide feedback, or to seek advice or permission in regards to the safe management of campers.